The History of Our Church
In 1852, Lutheran and Reformed Christians founded a church located along the scenic Tulpehocken Creek on the land donated by John and Abraham Kissinger.
Kissinger’s Church was incorporated in 1936 as a Union Church serving rural Spring Township. In 1967 the Reformed Congregation (and the Union Church) dissolved. The Lutheran Congregation had continued as a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.
In the early 1990’s it became apparent that the original structure could no longer safely serve the needs of a growing congregation. In 1995 a new church building was erected.
An education wing was constructed in 1998 which further enhanced our campus. Education rooms are available for all ages and a large social hall lends itself to many activities. Ample parking space and handicapped accessibility are also available.
Kissinger’s Lutheran Church is bordered by Penn State-Berks Lehigh Campus on one side and Country Meadows Retirement Community on the other. We proclaim the gospel not only to those neighbors, but to the ever growing Wyomissing/Reading area as well. To become more visible, we added a steeple on top of the education wing on June 17, 2006.
Kissinger's has always been a warm and welcoming congregation and as of April 2011 we are now an Independent Congregation. We want all who enter our doors to feel "at home". Since our beginnings as a rural church in Spring Township into the 21st century suburban church in Wyomissing, the message has not changed: God loves you!